Introduction to Visual Query
Productivity Highlights of 2.0
The first two things you'll notice are the many colors and the smaller blocks. But that's really just first impressions - Visual Query 2 is all about productivity. Here's what's new:
- Color streams help see what's connected to what
- Icons in each data-source help quickly determine what this source does, even after you renamed it
- All data sources now have extensive help in the 2sic wiki, like the help for the App data source
- Smaller data-source parts help you see more of your query in one screen
- Only configurable components now show configure-buttons on hover...
- ...and only components with a dynamic Out provide the orange new stream buttons
- Sources with Fallbacks (like filters which should be ignored if they don't return anything) now show the Fallback in-stream
Testing Highlights of 2.0
One of the most important enhancements is showing the test-parameters which are used when you are developing a query. Here's an example:
This shows how the query will behave when there is not Tag in the URL but there is an Author. The magenta/green pointers show how this affects the data returned from these filters. Having these values on the same screen as you're creating a query is very helpful.
New Data Sources: Sql and Shuffle
Last but not least we created two new data sources:
- the SqlDataSource allows you to query any SQL database. I'll write an extensive blog about the SQL DataSource in a few hours.
- the ShuffleDataSource let's you randomly pick a few items from a large list of items - this is common for cases where you need 3 random quotes or something
Hope you love it :)
...and do try it - the latest 2sxc can be found on github.
Love from Switzerland,