Since the WebAPI is usually invisible and doesn't have a real output-page it’s a bit harder to debug. What makes things even more difficult is the fact that DNN doesn't log WebAPI errors (it should, but that's a pending issue). So I'll show you the most important tools to help you get started.
would recommend to watch the Basic-Series Parts
it explains the very basics of WebAPI.
- Since this is part 2.2, you would also benefit from starting with
- Even if you don't, make sure you have a working DNN with 2sxc 6.4 installed (
see this blog for help).
- The App you'll install can be found in the App-Catalog - direct link here
In the following 16 minute Video, I'll show you
- Understanding where Issues can occur (what layers)
- Get to know your most important tools Fiddler and Browser-Debug
- Use Console.log()
- ...or the server
- Learn to understand server error numbers like 400 or 500 to corner your problems
With love from Switzerland,