- Data is stored in the database...
- ...and is cached in Memory on the web server
- When you need data, you request a DataSource from the cache...
- ...and using some filters (usually Filter-DataSources) request a subset of all data
- These pipeline-pieces can also be "chained" so you can first filter by type, then by Gender and finally sort by last-name
This is basically how it works (needs Razor):
// A source which can filter by Content-Type (EntityType)
var allAuthors = CreateSource<ToSic.Eav.DataSources.EntityTypeFilter>();
allAuthors.TypeName = "Authors";
For more examples, test-drive this data-demo app.